Monday, March 26, 2012

Brownie Roll-Out Cookies

Last week I found this recipe for Brownie Roll-Out Cookies at Smitten Kitchen via Pinterest.  It seemed simple enough and I was in desperate need of chocolate.  The recipe was easy to follow and my first foray into working with cocoa powder.  These are the most perfect of chocolate cookies- sweet but not sugary, rich chocolate flavor, and still soft days later.  Everyone enjoyed these.  I plan on making them again and again.

Lessons learned from this experience:  simple, broad cookie cutters are best to ensure they're soft.  Also, rolling them out a little thicker next time- I didn't really pay much attention to the thickness specified in the recipe and sort of eyeballed it instead.  This worked alright, but I definitely see the difference in a thicker cookie.  I never quite understood the importance of parchment paper, but after substituting with butter and flour I understand the difference.  The part of me that feels it to be a waste makes me curious about Silpat.  After finding this e-how article on it I'm still up in the air about it.  Economical-yes, but is it safe?  More research for me to do!